I started my second practicum student today, who was really excited about the photo collection (which made me super excited). I had her reading background information on Fred J. Maroon, and had her look over his 1990 CUA photo book, as well as browse the collection to visualize series. We discussed this afterwards, and unlike I and the rest of the staff thought, most of the vintage CUA prints are not from his time as a student, but apparently he did for-hire work for the Hartke Players on tour in the 1950s and 1960s, including some of their USO tours! I also covered photographic material handling. I'm going to start her on preventative preservation next Friday, and EAD the following week. She was really enjoying the gorgeous prints!
I guess all the excitement and positive vibes today shocked my brain into action because I was actually able to make sense of my technical information today, and wrote two sections of the Archives Procedural Manual for Audio Preservation today! I also took notes to include in the following three sections. I'm so glad I was able to make progress this week because I hit a wall last week. After I write this procedure, I need to present it to the supervisors, to see of the technical recommendations for the storage are achievable by CUA, and for their approval for implementation. I'm definitely pushing the barrier for the Archives.
(And to think, on Wednesday I was just happy that I was able to get the rogue reels transferred to the Archives...)